A Commercial Invoice is the first international document that you prepare as an exporter. The Commercial Invoice serves as a bill for the goods from the importer to the exporter, and is evidence of the transaction.
Additionally, the importer uses the Commercial Invoice to classify the merchandise so that they can get the shipment cleared through Customs and make sure that all duties and taxes have been accurately assessed.
Good to Know
You can effortlessly create a Commercial Invoice when you prepare your electronic waybill with DHL tools.
Commercial Invoice Checklist
A commercial invoice requires the following information:
- Your official company letterhead
- Sender’s full name and address, including postal code
- Sender’s telephone, fax or mobile number and VAT number
- Receiver’s complete address details for the recipient of the shipment, including telephone, fax or mobile numbers
- Invoice date
- Waybill number
- DHL as the carrier
- Shipper’s invoice number
- Sender’s reference
- Recipient’s reference
- Total quantity for each item
- Country of origin for each item
- Full description of the goods
- Customs commodity code for each item
- Unit weight
- Unit value of each item
- Subtotal of each item
- Net weight for this shipment
- Shipment gross weight
- Total number of shipment pieces
- Total value and currency of the shipment
- Freight and insurance charges
- Other charges
- Currency code
- Total invoice amount
- Type of export (permanent, temporary, repair)
- Terms of sale / terms of trade (Incoterms® 2010 Rules)
- Reason for export
- Additional notes
- Complete declaration with your name, company title
- Company stamp (if required)
Prepare Customs documents quickly and accurately with Paperless Clearance. There is no need to print and affix your documents to your package!
Paperless Clearance allows you to electronically transmit documents to Customs – eliminating the need to print and manually attach them to shipments. This feature helps you avoid costly delays caused by handwritten, misread Customs documentation. With Paperless Clearance, your documents will increase in accuracy and efficiency while accelerating the clearance process – speeding your packages around the world.
The paperless solution from DHL is completely online, with advanced and integrated shipping solutions allowing you to easily create Certificates of Origin, Commercial or Pro forma Invoices as you prepare waybills online. If additional Customs documentation is required you can simply upload the completed forms with one simple click. Send dutiable DHL Express Time Definite international export shipments using Paperless Clearance.
Good to Know
Your shipping solution will provide you the option of making Paperless Clearance your preferred document preparation and submission method.
Have some questions about Paperless Clearance?
Paperless Clearance Checklist
To send shipments with Paperless Clearance requires the following information:
- Know if you will typically send Commercial or Pro forma Invoices
- Company logo image (optional)
- Signature image file
- Signer’s name typed exactly as displayed in the image file
- Signer’s title
Continue with next topic: Special Case Documents